Year 5 Posts
Welcome to Year 5
Welcome back and it was a joy to see you all on Monday full of excitement and raring to go!
‘Egg-Watch’ has begun as on Tuesday our own set of eggs were delivered by Mr Short and some students from Nicholas Breakspear School.
Unlike the eggs last half-term in lower KS2, our 12 eggs have been freshly laid and will take 21 days to hatch.
We will be using these and embarking on project as part of our maths and science lessons.
More info and photos to follow next week!
Many thanks to all of the adults who were able to help this week on our trip to KidZania.
We’re sure that many have you have all now listened to tales of how they were able to spend and earn some money in the city. Everyone had a marvellous time and enjoyed being in the
Police force, Ambulance Crew, Re-cycling Paper, Making Ice-cream, burgers,
smoothies and the list goes on!
Remember to set your alarm clocks early for our next trip to Sutton Hoo on
Monday 7th March at 7.45 am!
Any adults wishing to help, please contact Mrs Jeffery or Mr Hancock.
Welcome to Year 5!
Mr Hancock teaches Class 5 and Mrs Jeffery (Monday to Thursday) and Mrs Dowling (Friday) teach Class 6.
Year 5 is the first year of upper Key Stage 2. We aim to create a stimulating environment where the children can become even more independent with their organisation and learning. This helps to prepare them for the demands of Year 6 and leading into secondary school. We have high expectations and strive to help all children achieve their full potential. See below for photos of our trips and other events.
Homework and Spellings
Year 5 Reading list
Here is a list of books suitable for readers at year 5 level to read.
Maths workshop slides
Important Dates/Upcoming Events/News/Reminders
School Milk- your child has brought home this week details of how to apply and order school milk.
Please note: We no longer use ‘Wise-pay’ and your child has been given a letter explaining the changes and how to create an account with schoolgateway. www.schoolgateway.com Please use this now to pay for trips etc.
9th February 9.00 – 12.00 – Year 5 trip to Loreto to watch Beauty and the Beast.
10th February 11.00 – 12.00 – Ash Wednesday Mass.
12th February – Egg drop challenge.
15th – 19th February – Half term.
22nd February – Welcome back
23rd February – ‘Egg-Watch’ begins. Our eggs arrive!
24th February – Year 5 trip to Kidzania. (Please note we will be returning to school at approx. 6.00 p.m.)
26th February – Junior School disco, neon theme.
Sunday 28th February – Joint Schools Lenten Mass (9.30 a.m)
3rd March – Mothers Day Mass (2.00 p.m at church)
4th March – Dress up day for ‘World Book Day’. Dress as book character. please, bring your book as well.
– PTA Mothers Day gift sale.
7th March – Year 5 trip to Sutton Hoo. Please note, very early start, 7.45 a.m – 5.30 p.m approx.
10th March – Year 5 maths workshop for parents. More details to follow.
Over the coming months there will an opportunity for you come in to school and take part in a workshop with your child. They will be led by your child’s class teacher and will focus on the Writing process and different areas of Mathematics. The first set of workshops will focus on The Big Write. Once you have been introduced to the way the Big Write is used throughout the school there will be a session for you to work with your child using the Big Write strategies to create a piece of extended creative writing. By offering this opportunity to parents, our hope is that you have a greater understanding of how the school teaches writing and the way you can help to support your child’s learning through active participation.
English- Year 5 Parent Workshop – Focus- Big Write ~ Thursday 19th November 2015
Maths- Year 5 Parent Workshop – Focus- Maths Investigations ~ Thursday 10th March 2015
Year 5 Curriculum
The School week
The following information outlines the routines of our week:
- Homework is handed out on a Friday and is due back in school the following Tuesday.
- If the children lose their homework, spare copies are available at school, on the ‘Year 5 Notice Board’ outside Class 6. If possible, we will also upload documents to the ‘Homework’ link above.
- Spellings are tested on a Friday and a new spelling set is given out on the same day to learn for the following Friday. Spellings are uploaded on to the ‘Homework’ page above.
- We have a weekly multiplication test on Fridays, which also tests the related division facts.
- For both classes, indoor PE is mostly on Monday afternoons and outdoor PE, with Mr. McMorrow, is on Wednesday afternoons. However, it is helpful for the children to have both their indoor and outdoor PE kits in school every day, including trainers. Their kits will be sent home at the end of each half term to be washed.
- All earrings need to be removed or taped up for PE for safety reasons. Please provide tape or a little container to keep them safe.
- We expect every child to read daily at home for at least 15 minutes. All children, regardless of what they are reading, benefit from reading aloud and sharing a book with an adult. It is also important that they bring their reading books and reading records into school daily.